Tuesday 15 November 2011

Autumn leaves

Where are house is situated we are completely surrounded by trees which is really lovely but boy does it mean lots of raking this time of year.  I was taking no prisoners this year and bought a super rake.  This proved much easier and quicker than using my usual metal tined leaf rake which does a adequate job but is rather too vigourous, not only raking up the fallen leaves but pulling up some of the grass too.

IMGP1202

IMGP1210

My new rake is very lightweight and is made from plastic and made the task much easier – raking by the way is an excellent exercise for tightening those tummy muscles!  It would seem that the last trees to lose their leaves is the mighty Oaks, one of which behind our house is now a magnificent golden colour.

IMGP1207

IMGP1280

Whilst raking away the chickens investigated the recently up turned leaves before their attention was diverted by scrumping for the apple windfalls.

I religously collect up and store all the fallen leaves and fill my leaf mould bins, having to literally keeping jumping on top of the pile to make space for the thousands of leaves collected.  After 1 – 2 years, a lovely dark, crumbly mixture is produced and is an ideal soil conditioner which before covering up for the winter I put on top of my raised vegetable beds, along with horse manure and regular kitchen and garden compost.

IMGP1281

IMGP1213

Tillie was no where to been seen much preferring her R and R time to spent in the warmth of indoors, Raven however made regular trips outside, only to check up that I hadn’t abandoned him.

IMGP1286

On the crafting front I have just completed this bright patriotic cushion which I intend to use on our recent maritime acquisition Perfect Lady.  The pattern is available from Michelle at her excellent blog The Royal Sisters Blog

IMGP1225

2 comments:

  1. hello. Thank you so much for popping by. What a pile of leaves ! I did the same on a smaller scale raking up the red Sumac tree leaves & now there is another layer to rake !

    Lovely to see your happy hens - I had four who sadly all died recently.

    Love your greyhound neck warmers _ I coulddo with one as I had a lot of hair cut off & my neck is sooo cold !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it!
    I am going to have to try this one, is it as difficult as it looks?
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!