Wednesday 2 September 2009

Purple is the colour of the day

I harvested what was left of my beetroot crop only to discover that ‘something’ had been gnawing on it – no idea what though? Never mind as I was making it into chutney anyway so once I had cooked the beetroot, I cut the affected bits away and then peeled the skin off, making sure I had disposable gloves on this time as I didn’t want purple stained hands (I am off to my sister’s wedding on Saturday). I was pleased with how the chutney turned out, not only because of the vibrant colour but because as well as my own home grown beetroot, I also used my own apples and onions. It smells delicious as well, so I am looking forward to trying it out when it is ready. The recipe I used is below.

Beetroot Chutney
1kg (2lbs) beetroot, cooked
2 medium-sized onions chopped
500g (1lb) cooking apples
250g (8ozs) granulated sugar
625mls (1 pint) vinegar
15ml (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
2.5ml (½ teaspoon) ground ginger
2.5ml (½ teaspoon) salt
Makes about 1½kg (3lbs)

Method
Peel the beetroot and cut it into small cubes. Peel and core the apples and chop them finely. Mix the onions, apples, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, ginger and salt, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beetroot and simmer for 15 minutes. Put into hot jars, cover and seal.

IMGP4859-1024 IMGP4861-1024

Yesterday I picked the last of the Victoria Plums and made a huge plum crumble and then made the rest into Plum Jam. The colour was beautiful but the set wasn’t great – I am not bothered about it being on the runny side, I am sure it will still taste just as good.

IMGP4857-1024 IMGP4858-1024
Whilst we were out walking late Sunday afternoon, we spotted on the footpath a row of plum trees with greeny/yellowy plums. I tried one and it was delicious. We vowed to come back with some suitable receptacles and pick some, which we duly did today but alas other people had the same idea as all the ripe ones were picked, so we left disappointed. I will have to remember this time next year and get in there quick.

Today was our 22nd wedding anniversay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!